‘Surplus’ by Jimmy Limit opened with a bang last night at the Clint Roenisch Gallery as part of Toronto’s Contact Photography Festival. Limit’s installations are compositions intended to be photographed including items like coins for scale, perfect 2×3 framing ratios with sizing and colour cards in place. The installations are presented alongside photos of the installations in a meta look at the art of photography. The show is up throughout the duration of Contact. Be sure to pass by and take a look. x
Tag Archives: Event Photography
TIFF14 Opening Night @ The Drake.
TIFF14 launched with a bang at The Drake Hotel this past Thursday night. They drew in throngs of model-esque hipsters with offers of free tattoos, free manicures and a live music line-up right on point with what’s hot right now. Choir! Choir! Choir! sang a selection of the most melodic pop records on the Top 40 list today in their big choral style. Twist, TOPS, Tasseomancy & Prince Innocence rocked the basement party. Upstairs Brendan Philip was followed by X Ambassadors who got the crowd pumping and are my new favourite band. The Toronto Star did a little write-up on the party featuring a couple of my pics. Take a read HERE. xo
I had the enormous privilege of travelling to France this time last year on a photo assignment. These are a few snaps from a private tour of the Louvre after hours. It was such a pleasure to enjoy the art up close and unobstructed without the regular throngs of tourists jostling for the best angle. Springtime seems to be the right time for France and I am thrilled to announce my return to Versailles next month with Opera Atelier. They will be performing Persée by Lully from April 6th to May 3rd in Toronto and in the Palace of Versailles from May 23rd to the 25th.
Hard Candy Toronto Grand Opening w. Host Madonna and Special Guest Mr. Brainwash!
Madonna officially launched the opening of her first Hard Candy gym in North America in Toronto this past Tuesday. There was the expected media frenzy as Madge arrived to strut the red carpet, give a couple of interviews and teach her newly invented workout class “Addicted to Sweat.” The new style of workout Madonna developed with her energetic personal trainer Nicole Winhoffer is heavy on dance moves and attitude. Once you get the hang of it, it’s easy to get swept up in the energy and flow. In the auditions to be a part of Madonna’s class the contestants were twerking it out with confidence in record time. Mr. Brainwash was also in attendance installing a mural of the queen herself on a wall of the gym. It was a pleasure to be able to take part in this event. I hope you enjoy the photos. xo
Photos taken at Hard Candy Toronto by Jennifer Toole.
Dailytoole 2013 Highlights!!!!!
Happy New Year pals!!! 2013 has made a bonafide hustler out of me. Working full-time as a freelance photographer has been the most challenging and most exhilarating experience of my life thus far and I don’t expect it to get any easier as the business grows. I am very proud and grateful to be embarking upon year three. There is still so much to learn and there is a lot to look forward to. As we settle into the eve of 2013 here are the top ten highlights of Dailytoole this year:
1) Northbound Leather CatalogueThe beautiful people behind Northbound Leather have been a total delight to work with this year. In addition to the monthly fashion features I shot for the brand, I also art directed and shot their 2014 catalogue. With nine amazing models, the best beauty team in town, the help of some family and friends we made a sophisticated and sexy catalogue for the brand that I think is my best work to date. I am very much looking forward to working more in-depth with Northbound in 2014 and taking the brand to new and exciting places.
2) Soho House Toronto ResidencyMy photographer’s residence at Soho House Toronto took me to some very interesting events this year. There were a handful of vibrant parties, a feature on sister design team Beaufille, author readings, culinary experiences, rooftop markets and more. The event that really took the cake at the house this year though was their life drawing evening. The soft, directional lighting, supple models, intent participants and flowing wine turned the main floor into a Baroque painting. It was a luscious feast for the senses. The house has had an amazing first year in the city and I expect it will only become more of an influential space for creative minds as it evolves.
3) PARISGoing to Paris on a work assignment was definitely a high priority on my bucket list and, thanks to a high-end travel and event photography client, I got to cross it off my list this year. The job took me to Paris, Champagne and Versailles. I had the incredible privilege of exploring the Louvre after hours and spent a good fifteen minutes alone with the Mona Lisa. Dreams really do come true! Here’s to 2014 bringing more travel & event photography opportunities like this unforgettable experience.
4) David Bowie AGO Exhibit OpeningThe lovely folks at Arthouse had me out to cover the AGO opening of the incredible David Bowie Exhibit and the subsequent after party at The Templar Hotel. It was a star-studded event with Bowie’s Ziggy Stardust era photographer Mick Rock in attendance, and Canadian astronaut Chris Hadfield performing a moving rendition of Bowie’s Space Oddity. It was an evening of Toronto at it’s best and I was thrilled to play my paparazzi part.
5) MTCKMTCK were the first ever to hire me as a photographer back in 2010. It gives me great pleasure that as my business has grown their music is reaching an ever widening audience. We shot this series for their new album art at The Drake Hotel. It is one of my most favourite shoots to date.
6) Kania F/W2014Kania Couture has been a loyal client of mine for quite a few years now. We featured Asia V. as the face of the F/W2014 line which we shot in Toronto’s Distillery District. Stacey, Kania’s incredible designer, is such a delight to work with. I love to see young, entrepreneurial women achieving such high levels of success. Keep up the great work!
7) L’Oreal Colour Trophy Competition w. The Manor SalonWith Amber Fairlie of The Manor Salon at the reigns, Bronwen Weiderick on make-up and myself behind the lens we put forward our best hair look modelled by the ever ethereal Natalie Sirianni for the L’Oreal Colour Competition. We were very proud to represent the smallest salon to make it to the semi-finals. Let’s go for the win next year!
8) Fashion Series FeatureFashion Series did a feature article on my fashion photography in their aSymmetry issue this year. It is always flattering to have a publication take an interest your work. The interview was published alongside my fashion editorial entitled “Arinna Rises,” modelled by Kadri Hansen, styled by Megan Ann Wilson with hair and make-up by Bronwen Weiderick.
9) L.A.This year I finally broke the border barrier and worked for the first time in the states. The American Film Market had me down to L.A. to shoot a couple of red carpet events. A lot of doors opened up on that reconnaissance mission and I hope to work there a lot more in 2014.
10) www.jennifertoole.comIt has been a bit of a process honing my own personal style of photography and figuring out how to best put my work forward. It is all most certainly still a work in progress, but the newest version of www.jennifertoole.com is headed in the right direction. I am aiming to focus on fashion, event and portrait photography in 2014. Please take a look at the new site and let me know what you think.
Moving into 2014 I have a few projects on the rise. I am extremely excited to continue working with Northbound Leather. There is a larger artistic project in development that I am hoping to put on my fourth photography show with. Stay tuned for more info on that in the coming months. My team and I are also in the midst of planning a creative for submission to Vogue Italia which is an unparalleled opportunity. All in all, 2014 is looking like the best yet. Happy New Years everybody!
P.S. Special thanks to my make-up artist and right-hand babe in most shoots, Bronwen Weiderick. She is simply the best. xo
P.P.S. On a side note, I starred in the Mooseknuckle F/W2013 campaign commercial by the awesome production team at 1188 Films. Check it out!
July Talk @ Dakota.
Please listen to July Talk. They’re awesome. LISTEN HERE. xoxoxo
David Bowie AGO Exhibit Opening.
In this growing city of ours, it can at times be difficult to catch a vibe at a party that transcends Torontonians’ characteristic apathy and just lets loose. I had the pleasure of experiencing Toronto at its finest during the David Bowie AGO exhibit opening and the Mick Rock photo exhibit / after party at the Templar Hotel on Sept. 24th. Mick Rock, Bowie’s photographer on the road during the Ziggy Stardust era, was the guest of honour. His particular blend of rock and roll mixed with that edge only seasoned veterans of the 70’s can muster set the tone of the evening. Darling astronaut Chris Hadfield, who has the voice of an angel, performed a moving rendition of Bowie’s “Space Oddity” to an enraptured crowd. Other stars studding the crowd included David Sutcliffe of TV series “Cracked”, Emily Haines of Metric, Brenden Canning of Broken Social Scene and CBC radio host Jian Ghomeshi. I hope you enjoy the pics and I also hope to attend a party as fun as this one in the very near future. x
Special thanks to Arthouse.